- How I Got Victory Over Committing Willful Sins - A number of years ago in my Christian experience I backslide and fell into willful and known sins. I struggled for around three years in a cycle of willful sinning then repentance only to fall back into willful sinning again.
I wept, I cried, I tried, I struggled — only [...]
- Quotes Concerning Entire Sanctification -
From the very first years of my ministry I have held with Adam Clarke, Richard Watson, John Fletcher and John Wesley, that regeneration and sanctification are separated and distinct one from the other and therefore received at different times. They are both received by faith, and the last one is [...]
- Justification and Sanctification Compared - H. Orton Wiley on page 470-471 in his Christian Theology briefly contrasts, from the Wesleyan point of view, justification and sanctification.
(1) Justification in a broad sense has reference to the whole work of Christ wrought for us; sanctification, the whole work wrought in us by the Holy Spirit.
(2) Justification is [...]
- ‘Radical Righteousness’ by Wallace Thornton - I am currently reading ‘Radical Righteous — Personal Ethics and the Development of the Holiness Movement’ by Wallace Thornton. Yet another book from Russell’s library.
This book traces the development and influence of personal ethics and outward standards from the start of Wesley’s ‘holy clubs’ up to the mid to late [...]
- Original Wesleyan Standard of Entire Sanctification - The following are quotes from John Wesley and John Fletcher on their definition of entire sanctification:
John Fletcher’s Definition of Christian Perfection
We call Christian perfection the maturity of grace and holiness, which established, adult believers attain to under the Christian dispensation; and by this means we distinguish that maturity of grace, [...]
- Speeches on Perfect Love - I am reading a book called ‘Speeches on Perfect Love’, which contains six speeches on the subject of ‘entire sanctification’, compiled by Hiram Mattison. This book is another gem from Russell Stephenson’s library.
This book has an 8-page introduction into the controversy that happened at the Methodist Episcopal Preachers’ meeting in [...]
- Questions from ‘Perfect Love’ - I just posted the questions from E.T. Curnick’s A Catechism on Christian Perfection, and I thought it would be good while I am on the subject to post the questions from J.A. Wood’s book ‘Perfect Love’.
J.A. Wood’s book ‘Perfect Love’ had two main editions, the original edition when the book [...]
- Questions from ‘A Catechism on Christian Perfection’ - I finished reading E.T. Curnick’s 203-page book ‘A Catechism on Christian Perfection’ this morning. As I noted in my post A Catechism On Christian Perfection, I purchased 2 copies since the one I was reading was borrowed.
This book is very much like J.A. Wood’s book ‘Perfect Love’. Both books are [...]
- A Catechism on Christian Perfection - The book ‘A Catechism on Christian Perfection’ by Edward T. Curnick is a gem. I am only on page 19 of this book that I am reading from Russell Stephenson’s library, but I am enjoying it so much I purchased two copies this morning.
I found the first copy of A [...]
- “Perfect Love” By J. A. Wood - I picked up a copy of J. A. Wood’s “Perfect Love” 1861 edition on eBay for $6 USD from Bbrrmm Books.
Wood published a revised and enlarged version in 1880, which I have read a number of times.
This book is one of the best books I have read on the subject [...]
- 02-04-09 Food Menu - My weight will fluctuate up and down some what so I am not discouraged by weighing in at 180.6 this morning. My weight is heading downward without a doubt.
One thing I have noticed in becoming consistent in one area of your life it effects your consistency in others. Consistency [...]
- What the Promise of the Holy Spirit Does - 1. The Spirit dwells with all believers, but is promised to be within those that receive the promise.
Joh 14:17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in [...]
- Promise of the Holy Spirit - 1. The promise of the Father and the baptism of the Holy Spirit are one and the same thing.
Luk 24:49 And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high.
Act 1:4,5 And, [...]