- Amber Alert Hoax - I just received a Amber Alert Hoax via SMS message from two well meaning friends.
If you don’t know what a Amber Alert is you can read up on the history of this service in Wikipedia: Amber Alert.
“An AMBER Alert is a child abduction alert bulletin in the United [...]
- Quotes From John Wesley - The sea is an excellent figure of the fullness of God, and that of the blessed Spirit. For as the rivers all return into the sea; so the bodies, the souls, and the good works of the righteous, return into God, to live there in his eternal repose.
The bottom of [...]
- Preaching at CAMPMEETINGS - The preaching at our camp-meetings should be of the most awakening character. Fine sermons are out of place everywhere, especially at camp-meetings. The people do not need to be delighted, but to be convicted.
Superficial, worldly religion is on the increase. Its utter worthlessness to save the soul should be clearly [...]
- Manner of Preaching at CAMPMEETINGS - If you preach at camp-meeting, be sure and preach the gospel. Do not try to pull down anybody; but hold up Christ.
If you have a grievance against any of your brothers or sisters, do not go to camp-meeting to give them an airing. Slander and ridicule and sarcasm and personal [...]
- Location of CAMPMEETING - The success of camp-meetings depends very much upon their location. Our experience has demonstrated that it is not profitable to hold them in some neighborhoods.
1. They should not be held on grounds used by others as pleasure grounds. The people come there, not to be instructed, but to be entertained. [...]
- Not Slothful in BUSINESS FOR GOD - He who is doing business for God should, of all men, be most diligent in business. His work is the most important of that in which a human being can engage. His wages are the very highest. None should surpass him in fidelity to his calling, He should make the [...]
- BURDENS OF THE LORD Are Not Crushing - The burden which the Lord lays upon us is not crushing. The yoke that Christ would have us bear is not galling. Sometimes, in the work of the Lord, we allow others to put burdens upon us which the Lord never imposed. We suffer a yoke to be put upon [...]
- Daily Provided BREAD - Green pastures are provided by the Great Shepherd for all his flock. The food is nutritious, delicious and abundant. And the sheep gather it as they need it, each for himself. There is none laid up in store. It is not fed out dry by hired men.
The prayer which our [...]
- BIBLE Reading - The humblest place is made pleasant by the presence of God. If we had more of his Spirit abiding in our homes, we should need less costly furniture, and fewer fine clothes. Debts, with their never-falling annoyances, would be avoided.
“God bless our going out, nor less
Our coming in, and make [...]
- No-Sectism - The following is a short editorial written by B.T. Roberts and published in ‘The Free Methodist’ paper on No-Sectism, in which Roberts notes that no-Sectism groups are “ferocious bigotry” and “prolific breeder of sectarianism”.
While I was not able to find what year this editorial was written, it would have been [...]
- The BIBLE Never Changes - Fashion changes, but the Bible never changes. Like its author, it is the same yesterday, today, and forever. Clocks may vary, but the sun never varies. It always keeps time. It never rises a second too late, nor sets a second too early.
So the Bible presents an unerring, invariable standard [...]
- The BIBLE - The mysteries of the Bible are not greater than the mysteries that surround us. The words of the Apostle sound strange to some: “There is a natural body and there is a spiritual body.”
“How is it possible,” says the materialist, “that there can be a spiritual body?” We will tell [...]
- BELIEVING and CONFESSING - There is an inexhaustible fountain of blessings in that saying of St. Paul’s, “With the heart man believeth unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.” The believing must be with the heart, the affections, THE WILL, and not merely with the head — the intellect.
Believing in [...]
- BAPTIZED HEATHEN - Fletcher was a very loving, amiable man, but he was a very outspoken one. He has one chapter entitled, “An Address to Baptized Heathen.”
The matter that follows is worthy of the title: “O ye that regard pleasure, profit and honor more than justice, mercy and the fear of God; ye [...]
- When Old, Don’t BACKSLIDE - Probation lasts while life lasts. Every day a man lives in sin he is becoming hardened in sin, and the probability of his ever becoming converted is lessened.
The longer and more faithfully one lives in the service of God, the more confirmed are his habits of piety and obedience to [...]
- Death of a BACKSLIDER - For years he was a happy Christian and a successful worker in getting souls saved. He went into politics. During the excitement preceding election he neglected prayer meetings to attend political meetings.
He became cold and formal. He obtained an office. Before his term of office expired he gave up religion [...]
- Return Now, BACKSLIDER - If you have, in the slightest degree, wandered from God, come back to him at once. Do not wait till you have broken some great commandment before you bring him a broken heart. Open disgrace is not essential to true penitence.
The sooner you confess wherein you have been wrong, the [...]
- A Redeeming Feature of a BACKSLIDER - There was one redeeming feature in the backslidings of Solomon-he did not put in a claim for what he had done and given towards the building of the Temple. He did very wickedly in yielding to his wives, and building altars to their favorite divinities.
For the sake of domestic peace [...]
- Are You a Deceived BACKSLIDER? - Many are backslidden and do not know It. Their professions are high-their state of grace low. “Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked” (Rev. 3:17).
It is a [...]
- Are You A BACKSLIDER? - Are you a backslider? The question is not untimely nor impertinent. Do not dismiss it readily. You may be backslidden in heart and not know it. Many are.
You know that something is not right, but you never suspect that the trouble is with yourself. You think that the preachers you [...]
- True AWAKENING - A desire to flee from the wrath to come is the very beginning of a genuine religious experience. No one can be justified, much less sanctified, without it.
If in every case this desire shows itself by the fruits above specified, then it must follow that the vast army of jewel-wearing, [...]
- Efforts for AWAKENING - Unless the whole community is converted, a preacher ought not to be satisfied with preaching only, or mainly, to his own members. Where this is the case, there is something wrong with the preacher. If there is no interest, he should awaken an interest.
But alas! Probably none needs awakening more [...]
- AUTHORITY to Be Respected - The Bible inculcates a proper respect to persons in authority. “Render therefore to all their dues; tribute to whom tribute is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honour to whom honour” (Rom. 13:7).
To “despise dominion, and speak evil of dignities,” the Apostle gives as marks of those [...]
- ALTAR WORK: Salvation Only By The Holy Spirit - “Souls are saved by the power of the Holy Spirit, and not by the force of logic. When Paul reasoned of “righteousness, temperance and judgment to come, Felix trembled” (Acts 24:25).
That was as far as logic could carry him. But when Paul, “filled with the Holy Spirit, set his [...]
- ALTAR WORK: United Prayer the Means - “Evil communications corrupt good manners.” Some of our people, by working in popular revivals, have got in a bad way of working.
They talk too much, and sing too much, and pray too little. They do not appear to get the burden of souls upon them. They do not pray with [...]