Sin Free Living
- Whosoever Is Born Of God Cannot Sin? - Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God. — 1 John 3:9 KJV
– OR –
Whoever has been born of God does not [continuously] sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot [...]
- You Can’t Serve Two Masters - No servant can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. –Luk 16:13a
I was listening to my audio Bible this morning on my way back from shopping and I heard Luke 16:13. [...]
- A Blow at the Root - “Without holiness no man shall see the Lord,” shall see the face of God in glory. Nothing under heaven can be more sure than this; “for the mouth of the Lord hath spoken it.”
No, it cannot be; none that shall live with God, but he that now lives to God; [...]
- Questions from ‘Perfect Love’ - I just posted the questions from E.T. Curnick’s A Catechism on Christian Perfection, and I thought it would be good while I am on the subject to post the questions from J.A. Wood’s book ‘Perfect Love’.
J.A. Wood’s book ‘Perfect Love’ had two main editions, the original edition when the book [...]
- God Promises the Power to Overcome Sin - I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened, so that you will know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints, and what is the surpassing greatness of His power toward us who believe.
– Eph [...]
- Add to Your Faith the Fruit of the Spirit - This morning I was studying 2 Timothy 3:5: “having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof.” This led me to do a word study on a number of Greek and English words like εὐσέβεια (eusebeia), godliness, piety, and virtue.
I have read Benjamin Franklin’s list of virtues before, but [...]
- Keep Yourself Free from Sin -
I have been reading through the New Testament in the NASB translation of the Bible and really like the way the NASB translates 1Tim 5:22.
The KJV translates it “Lay hands suddenly on no man, neither be partaker of other men’s sins: keep thyself pure” while the NASB translates it “Do [...]
- “Perfect Love” By J. A. Wood - I picked up a copy of J. A. Wood’s “Perfect Love” 1861 edition on eBay for $6 USD from Bbrrmm Books.
Wood published a revised and enlarged version in 1880, which I have read a number of times.
This book is one of the best books I have read on the subject [...]
- Break Up Your Fallow Ground - The Independent New York, February 5, 1874
By President C. G. FINNEY.
Seasons of commercial and business depression are peculiarly favorable to the promotion of revivals of religion. Viewed in this light, they are often the greatest of blessings in disguise.
The business world dreads them before they come and regrets them [...]
- When Is the Fallow Ground of the Soul Broken Up? - The Independent New York, February 19, 1874
By President C. G. Finney.
First. Not until there is thorough brokenness of heart and contrition of spirit.
2d. Not until sin is crushed out of the heart and it has become thoroughly honest with God and man.
3d. Not until it is disposed to make a [...]
- Sinless Perfection - In the back of Finney’s Systematic Theology 1878 edition that is published by Bethany House Publishers, there is a glossary of terms. From what I can tell, the glossary of terms were not written by Finney but inserted by one of the publishers, as it is not in the [...]
- How to Quit Smoking - Well, I do not have a 5 or 10-step program for this one, but I have a personal testimony of divine deliverance. For me, this was the hardest thing I ever did.
As a professing Christian, I struggled with smoking cigarettes for about 5 years before I finally found deliverance [...]
- Free from Sin Teaching - Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness… But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life. — Rom 6:18, 22
1) A person that desires to become a child of God must [...]
- Free from Sin Positionally or Experientially - Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness… But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life. — Rom 6:18, 22
In chapter six of Romans, Paul deals with the sin question and [...]
- Who Are Liars, Deceived, and in Darkness? - For the last couple of weeks I have been mediating on the first letter of John. I took some extra time this morning to read through the whole book and to meditate on the verses where John speaks of those who are liars, deceived, and in darkness.
The first letter of [...]
- Sinning and the Greek Present Tense - Some make a plea that sin is consistent in the life of a Christian by claiming that the words continuous, constantly, habitual, or practice must be added to Greek verbs or participles that are in the present tense.
For example, 1Joh 3:8 says “he that committeth sin is of the devil” [...]
- Sin-You-Must Teaching - Sin-You-Must — This teaching holds that a person will continue to commit sin after being saved and that as a believer you will sin in word, thought, and deed almost daily. Teachers of this doctrine say that we should try not to sin, but that sinning and repenting is [...]
- Sin Is Not an Option for the Christian - Because of the Sin You Must teaching and the great compromise of Christianity, even those that feel like they are committed Christians have got the idea somewhere in the back of their minds that to commit sin is an option.
In part, this has happened due to confusion over what sin [...]
- God Promises Complete Victory Over All Sin - I added another scripture to this list, so I am republishing it. Plus, I want to encourage everyone to memorize these 11 scriptures. These will be very good to have around to meditate on when you are being tried and tempted.
1Co 10:13 There hath no temptation taken you but such [...]
- Questions for Religious Sinners - God can do anything! If he says he will “make a way of escape” for every temptation (1Cor 10:13), and that he gives us “all things that pertain unto life and godliness” (2Pet 1:3), then I believe that. If he says that the “abundance of grace” which he offers whereby [...]
- Sinning Christians? - If ye love me, keep my commandments. — Joh 14:15
I have posted on my blog a good number of articles concerning what the Bible has to say about sin and the believer. I hold to the teaching that we are to love God with all our heart, soul, mind, and [...]
- Biblical Definition of Sin - We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not — 1Jn 5:18
Faults, lacks in social deportment that may be offensive, and mistakes in opinion, judgment, and actions are not sins – unless they include a voluntary act of disobedience against a known commandment of God (1Joh 3:4; 5:17).
- Committing Sin Brings Spiritual Death - But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die. — Gen 2:17
It is very important for Christians to understand what spiritual death is and what causes it, so that they [...]
- How To Overcome Sin - The following are some pointers on how to gain victory over sin.
It is faith that gives overcoming victory in your spiritual life:
it is by faith that you stand (2Cor 1:24), by faith that you have victory over the world (1Joh 5:4), by faith that you quench all the fiery darts [...]
- Are Errors, Faults, and Mistakes Sin? - There is a large part of professing Christianity that considers errors, faults, and mistakes to be sin. If you ask them if they are free from sin they will boldly tell you we are all human and sin. If you ask them what kind of sins they are talking [...]