1. The Spirit dwells with all believers, but is promised to be within those that receive the promise.
Joh 14:17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
2. Rivers of living water will flow out of your inner most being.
Joh 7:38, 39 He that believeth on me, as the Scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)
3. He will guide you into all truth.
Joh 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will show you things to come.
4. He will teach you all things and bring things to your remembrance.
Joh 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
5. The promised Holy Spirit will comfort you.
Joh 14:16-18 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you forever; Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you. I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.
6. You will receive power which will make you a better witness for Christ.
Act 1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.
7. The love of God will be shed around in your heart to a greater degree.
Rom 5:5 And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.
8. After you receive the promise you will be able to bear stronger things from the Lord.
Joh 16:12, 13 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now. Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will show you things to come.
9. The Holy Spirit of promise will seal you and preserve you.
Eph 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that Holy Spirit of promise,
10. The baptism of the Holy Spirit is with fire and has a purging effect.
Mat 3:11, 12 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire: Whose fan is in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor, and gather his wheat into the garner; but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.
11. The promise of the Holy Spirit is a down payment (earnest) of heaven (our inheritance).
Eph 1:13, 14 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that Holy Spirit of promise, Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.
12. Receiving the Spirit of God helps us to better know the things that are freely given to us by God.
1Co 2:12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.
13. We are given a greater assurance of salvation by the Spirit of promise.
1Jn 3:24 And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.
14. The promise of the Father will purify your heart from the sin nature.
Act 15:8, 9 And God, which knoweth the hearts, bare them witness, giving them the Holy Ghost, even as he did unto us; And put no difference between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith.
15. When you are saved your sins are forgiven1 and all taken away2, you no longer commit sin3, but while you have power over sinning there still remains that sin nature in the heart4 which must be suppressed. This is what is removed when your heart is purified though the promise of the Father5.
11Jn 2:12 I write unto you, little children, because your sins are forgiven you for his name’s sake.
21Jn 3:5 And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.
31Jn 3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God
4Rom 7:17 Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
4Rom 7:20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
5Act 15:8, 9 And God, which knoweth the hearts, bare them witness, giving them the Holy Ghost, even as he did unto us; And put no difference between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith.
16. Those that receive the promise of a pure heart will be blessed.
Mat 5:8 Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.
17. The promise of the Father is needed to keep the command to have love out of a pure heart.
1Ti 1:5 Now the end of the commandment is charity out of a pure heart, and of a good conscience, and of faith unfeigned:
18. Seeking and receiving the promise of the Father is obeying the truth.
1Pe 1:22 Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently:
19. Those who have not had their heart purified by the promise of the Father are double minded.
Jas 4:8 Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.
20. Those that have not had there heart purified by the Holy Spirit baptism are unstable in all their ways.
Jas 1:8 A double minded man is unstable in all his ways.